Thursday, June 22, 2017

Throwback Thursday: When Christopher met Kieran

In All I Ever Wanted, the newest book in my Firsts and Forever Series, we get to check in with several couples from very early in the series, including Jamie and Dmitri (Way Off Plan), Hunter and Brian (Gathering Storm), and Christopher and Kieran (In Pieces). I thought it’d be fun to look back at how Christopher and Kieran first got together in today’s TBT blog post.

The couple first met at a Christmas party. Kieran was very drunk (and dressed in an ugly Christmas sweater with a light-up Rudolph), and he planted a big kiss on Christopher under the mistletoe, right before passing out. In this scene, it’s New Year’s Eve, and they’ve run into each other at Charlie and Dante’s wedding. The clock just struck twelve:
“Hi.”
I turned toward the voice behind me, and my smile widened. Without another word, Reindeer Sweater stepped forward and scooped me into his arms, and delivered a New Year’s kiss to end all New Year’s kisses. I wrapped my arms around him, my eyes sliding shut, my lips parting for him. My God, this man could kiss! It was passionate, electric, and it made my heart race.
He pulled back long enough to ask, “What’s your name?” before kissing me again.
“Christopher,” I whispered against his lips. “What’s yours?”
“Kieran.” He pushed me against the wall and ran a series of kisses along my jaw, and licked my earlobe before saying, “I was worried that I’d only dreamt meeting you under the mistletoe, that you weren’t real.” His hands slid under my tuxedo jacket and he untucked my shirt, his big hands finding bare skin as he clutched me to him.
“You were really drunk.”
“I know.”
I slid my tongue into his mouth, and he sucked it gently before whispering, “Just in case you weren’t a dream and I ran into you again, I made sure I was ready.”
“What do you mean?”
He grinned at me, his beautiful blue eyes sparkling, and fished in his jacket pocket. Then he held up a little brown sprig of something. “I’ve been carrying this around every day since Christmas Eve.”
I laughed and asked, “Is that mistletoe?”
He dropped the crispy leaves back into his pocket and ran his fingers into my hair. “Yup.” He kissed me once more, then rested his forehead against mine.
“I think mistletoe’s magical properties expire after Christmas.”
“I was hoping if I saw you again, you’d grant the mistletoe an extension. But as it turns out, I found you right in time for the biggest kissing excuse of the holiday season. Happy New Year, by the way.” He smiled brightly, bringing out a lone dimple in his left cheek.
“To you, too. Why do you need an excuse to kiss me?”
“Because most people aren’t okay with a total stranger doing this to them.” His mouth found mine yet again, and it was a couple minutes before we said anything else.
“I guess it all depends on the stranger.”

*****


Those two still make me smile, and I love the heat between them! One of my favorite things about writing a series is getting to check in with past couples, so we can all see how they’re doing and what they’ve been up to several years down the road. Christopher and Kieran from In Pieces truly found their happily ever after.